One of the things I like best about being a part of organizations like MEMSPA (Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals Association) and NAESP (National Association of Elementary School Principals) is that I get to learn from the best educators across the state and from across the country. They help me see not just the reality of education, but what could be! Better than that, they help me by sharing their ideas, their inspiration, and stories of perseverance. These interactions and relationships help make me a better educator and in turn helps others.
It’s not just my friends from state and national organizations that help me draw inspiration, I also gain ideas and best practices from my colleagues across the district. Having worked in small districts, I know how fortunate I am to have a large team of principals in my own district that I can call for advice, visit for an idea, or simply talk through an issue. It’s that TEAM atmosphere that helps each of us grow.
There was a time when I preferred to stay in my building, do my own thing, and was comfortable with the status quo. What I realized was that I wasn’t only cheating myself, I was limiting the possibilities for my building, staff, and students. How can I ask our team to learn and grow if I’m not modeling that same behavior? While some may prefer to be a big fish in a little pond, I prefer the opposite. I want to be surrounded by those who push me, challenge me, and inspire me. Fortunately, I have a great district team, state team, and national team that can do all of those things for me. Are you ready to leave the small pond and swim with the big fish? Trust me, it’s much more exciting!
“I surround myself with good people who make me feel great and give me positive energy.” – Ali Krieger
“Great things are never done by one person. They’re done by a team of people.” – Steve Jobs
“There are two great days in a person’s life – The day we are born and the day we discover why.” – William Barclay
- Monday, September 30: Student of the Month Assembly 9:05 AM
- Tuesday, October 1: REED (Hochkins) 8:15 AM, IEP (Pisko) 3:00 PM
- Thursday, October 3: Staff Meeting 8:05 AM (5D Growth Plans), Fire Drill 3:30 PM
- Friday, October 4: ELA Performance Task Window Closes, PTA Fun Run K&1 11:00 AM, 2-4 Grades 1:15 PM
- Monday, October 7: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM
- Tuesday, October 8: Achievement Team 8:15 AM, Student Data due in Profile Sheet, PTA Skate Night 6:00-8:00 PM
- Wednesday, October 9: Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:30 PM
- Thursday, October 10: PLC Session in Library 7:50-8:50 AM (Performance Task Data), Data Dives throughout day (rotating subs), PTA meeting 7:00 PM
- Monday, October 14: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM, Fire Drill (following Assembly)
- Tuesday, October 15: IEP (Trantham) 9:50 AM
- Wednesday, October 16: Conferences 5:00-8:00 PM (dinner from Social Committee)
- Thursday, October 17: Students dismissed at 12:10 PM, Conferences 1:00-4:00 PM & 5:00-8:00 PM (dinner from PTA)
- Friday, October 18: Students dismissed at 12:10 PM, Conferences 1:00-4:00 PM (lunch from Jon), 5D Growth Plans Due in Pivot