The original Star Trek series had many groundbreaking special effects and story lines. It also had several cringe worthy scenes and special effects. One of the most notorious scenes involves Captain Kirk fighting a giant reptile called a Gorn. The creature’s costume is laughable and he looks like he’s wearing a shower curtain taken from my late grandmother’s bathroom. While the episode is actually fun and contains a good moral lesson, the fight scene is downright ridiculous. In fact, I have even come to calling any ridiculous battle “Fighting a Gorn” after the episode.
Throughout my life, I have fought many ridiculous battles. As a husband, I have gotten into more ridiculous arguments than I can count. As a father, I have witnessed ridiculous battles between my daughters and have been drawn into more than I care to admit. Even as a teacher and principal, I have been pulled into ludicrous situations that would rival Captain Kirk’s battle with the Gorn. Fortunately, the older I become, the less I am drawn into silly and destructive battles that don’t benefit anyone.
As educators, it can be easy to be pulled into “Fighting a Gorn” as we have a power struggle with a student, argue with a combative parent, or even get into workplace gossip or cliques. When you feel this happening, take a step back, breathe, and walk away if possible. We have enough real battles to face as educators. Make sure you are spending your energy on the important things and remember that nobody looks good fighting a Gorn…not even Captain Kirk!
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” – Mark Twain
“Raise your words, not your voice.” – Rumi
“The test of a man or woman’s breeding is how they behave in a quarrel.” – George Bernard Shaw
- Monday, April 29: Students of the Month Assembly 9:05 AM, M-STEP Window Opens
- Tuesday, April 30: Achievement Team (Duff) 8:15 AM, 2nd Grade Talking Zoo
- Thursday, May 2: #MEMSPAchat 8:00 PM (Chance to earn a 30 min. break card:)
- Friday, May 3: Fire Drill 3:05 PM
- Monday, May 6: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM, iReady Window 3 Opens
- Tuesday, May 7: TALENT SHOW!
- Thursday, May 9: CLT 7:50-8:50 AM
- Friday, May 10: Jon in Lansing for MEMSPA Board Meeting
- Tuesday, May 14: Grouping Meetings in AM (Rotating Subs)/4th Grade to Riley
- Thursday, May 16: Art Fair (K-4) Music Concert (1-4) 6:00-8:00 PM
- Friday, May 24: M-STEP Ends, Students & Staff dismissed at 12:10 PM
- Monday, May 27: No School for Memorial Day
- Thursday, May 30: Stevenson Clap Out 11:00 AM
- Monday, June 3: F&P in Illuminate
- Tuesday, June 4: Kindergarten Round Up
- Friday, June 7: Service Safety Squad Celebration 3:00 PM
- Monday, June 10: 4th Grade Party
- Wednesday, June 12: Field Day
- Friday, June 14: Island Drums Assembly 10:00 AM