Each year during the Thanksgiving break, I write a post of gratitude. Often I reflect on the moments and people in my life that have helped shape who I am today. However, this year, I want to be completely in the moment and share out my gratitude for people and events that I’m grateful for right now.
Right now, my daughters are young adults that are busy with their high school activities, work, and friends. I’m thankful that on Thanksgiving morning, they took the time to wake up early and go with me into Detroit to serve with Meals on Wheels.
Right now, I’m exhausted but happy that my friend and fellow principal, Lawrence, took me to a rock concert last night as a thank you for serving as a mentor to him. I’m thankful that we have the opportunity to connect both at work and outside of work.
Right now, I’m reading the book “Uncommon Leadership” by Debbie McFalone. I’m thankful for the inspiring messages and straightforward advice the book gives and the same messages and example that are given by Debbie each time I see her.
Right now, I work in a district where I feel empowered as a leader and in a building where I feel joyful to come to school every day. Our jobs are never easy, but always worth it. I’m thankful that we support one another through tough times and celebrate the good times together.
Right now, I’m feeling good that I’ve lost nearly 20 pounds since the start of the school year. I’m thankful for those that have supported and encouraged me and I’m praying for willpower through the holiday season to stay active and healthy!
Right now, I’m writing a blog post on gratitude that I will share with our Buchanan staff and also with my friends in the Compelled Tribe of ed bloggers. I’m thankful for the team of educators that I work with each day and for the team of educators that I’m able to connect with in my Professional Learning Network online.
We all have wonderful memories that we cherish and experiences that we are thankful for. But take a moment to look around you and stop, smile, and share what is good in your life at this very moment. What are you grateful for right now?
Image from “Right Now Magazine” in Australia
“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
“Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
- Monday, November 26: Student of the Month Assembly 9:05 AM, Pat Pepple recognized at the Board of Education Meeting for Support Staff Person of the Year! 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, November 27: Achievement Team 8:15 AM
- Wednesday, November 28: Battle of the Books Meeting 8:20 AM, Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:30 PM
- Thursday, November 29: Staff Meeting 8:05 AM, All Admin Meeting 1:30 PM, PTA Meeting 7:00 PM
- Friday, November 30: Records Day (Optional Report Day)
- Monday, December 3: Celebrate Monday Assembly (Empathy/Kindness) 9:05 AM, 3rd Grade to Lansing
- Tuesday, December 4: Achievement Team 8:15 AM, Grades due by 11:59 PM
- Wednesday, December 5: PTA Board Meeting 2:30 PM, Jon at MEMSPA conference
- Thursday, December 6: Staff Meeting 8:05 AM (Led by Kristen B), Jon at MEMSPA Conference
- Friday, December 7: Report Cards go home, Jon at MEMSPA Conference
- Monday, December 10: Santa Shop Begins, iReady Window 2 Opens