“Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” – Dr. Seuss
I came across that quote as I was preparing for our garden dedication and time capsule ceremony. It captured the feeling I had for how special this year has been to me and the impact it will have on future Buchanan students and staff. As we began the year of blending two school communities, I had one goal: Create a unified team of teachers, students, and community members. The real work of making that vision come true came from our incredible staff working together. We honored traditions from both schools and created some new ones of our own. We developed routines and practices that worked for our staff and students and the parent community supported us along the way.
Knowing that this was a special year, there was a lot of enthusiasm from the PTA to do something special. That led to the revitalization of our Buchanan Oasis Garden and months of work. Nothing brings a community together quite like working on a project together. I was filled with pride as I saw community members and staff come out on the weekends to create something special for our students. As our garden project progressed, I began to think of ways that we could capture this special moment in time. I shared the idea of a Time Capsule with the PTA and then with our staff. Now, as intriguing as the idea of a Time Capsule is, the last thing teachers probably want to hear during a VERY busy year is that we are doing one more thing in May/June. Luckily, we were able to streamline the project with some point people heading up the project from making classroom videos, to organizing the garden, to writing a song for our students to sing at the ceremony. Many hands make light work and this TEAM made it happen!
The day of the ceremony, I was a bundle of nerves…mostly because of the constant threat of rain. However, the weather held out, our students did great, and our special guests enjoyed the event. We were even able to capture the special moment with a photo of our entire school population in the revitalized garden area! The videos, artifacts, memorabilia, and other items commemorating this special year will all be sealed in a time capsule to be opened in the year 2038. Twenty years may seem far away, but looking back at how fast my last twenty years in education have gone, I know it will be here before I know it. At that time, I look forward to visiting the school with old Buchanan friends and meeting new Buchanan friends as we find out if we can really capture Time in a Bottle!
“Cherish all your happy moments, they make a fine cushion for old age.” – Booth Tarkington
“Life is too short not to celebrate nice moments.” – Jurgen Klopp
“We do not remember days, we remember moments.” – Cesare Pavese
- Monday, June 11: Celebrate Monday Assembly (showing Time Capsule Video) 9:05 AM, Yearbooks delivered to classrooms by PTA, 4th Grade Celebration in the afternoon (Circus Amongus)
- Tuesday, June 12: 2nd Grade Celebration outside 10:00-11:00, Kindergarten Concert/Celebration outside 1:15 PM, grades due in by 11:59 PM
- Wednesday, June 13: 1st grade Water Day in AM, 2nd Grade movie in East Commons 1:00 PM, Yearbook Autograph Session in garden area 2:35-3:00 PM
- Thursday, June 14: Final Staff Meeting 8:05 AM, All School Assembly 10:00-11:00 AM (Jon will take all students), Students dismissed at 12:10 PM, Staff Luncheon (Joan’s retirement) 12:30 PM
- Friday, June 15: 4th Grade Clap Out 11:30 AM, Student Dismissed at 12:10 PM
- Monday, June 18: Teacher Work Day (Optional Report Day)