May can be a very stressful time for educators. Staff Evaluations, School Improvement Plans, State and District Testing are all happening at the same time as we are trying to fit in the remainder of the curriculum and other projects (Time Capsules, Renovations, etc). With all the things we need to squeeze in at the end of the school year, there is one thing that is essential to include….self care!
There are many ways we can practice self care. From eating right and exercising to simply remembering to breathe, we need to practice being good to ourselves. The old saying is true, “If we don’t take care of ourselves, we can’t take care of others.” Educators are so good at many things, but we are often lacking when it comes to giving ourselves what we need. Just like all of you, I have my fair share of stress and I have found a way to help alleviate some of my own stress…walks with Columbo.
For those of you old enough to remember, Columbo was the lovable, bumbling detective played by Peter Falk. It was also the perfect name for our lumbering and sometimes drooling Saint Bernard. When I get home from school, I often have schedules and lists of things undone swirling through my head. I learned long ago that those things need to be let go of in order to have a happy home life. One of the ways that I have been able to do that is by my nightly walks with Columbo. Going around the neighborhood with him is very therapeutic. It clears my head, lifts my spirits, and gets my body moving. I can name most of the dogs in the neighborhood that we see on our walks, but I’d be lucky to name three of my neighbors. Our nightly walks are a time for me to take off the principal hat and just be in the moment. I take my cues from Columbo who is jumping for excitement and sniffing each fence and tree as if we have never seen them before. He is just thrilled to be walking and spending time with me. He teaches me the art of finding joy and excitement in small moments.
A mentor once told me, “Don’t sweat the small stuff. And remember, it’s all small stuff!” My walks with Columbo remind me of that and give me the energy and peace to start fresh each day. How do you deal with stress in your life? If you ask nicely and are willing to brave a walk with a 140 pound hound, then I’d be glad to offer you the joy of Walks with Columbo!
Columbo at 14 pounds and 140 pounds!
“The measure of success is happiness and peace of mind.” – Bobby Davro
“Life gives you plenty of time to do whatever you want to do IF you stay in the present moment.” – Deepak Chopra
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” – Leo Buscaglia
This video is guaranteed to make you smile!
- Saturday, May 19: Staff Outing/Karaoke! 9:15 PM – ???
- Sunday, May 20: St. Baldrick’s Head Shaving at The Claddaugh 4:00 PM
- Monday, May 21: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM, iReady Window 3 Opens (Computer lab is still closed in mornings for last week of M-STEP, but chromebooks can be used for iReady)
- Tuesday, May 22: Building walk through by Harry Lau (prepping for summer renovations) 8:00 AM
- Thursday, May 24: Staff Meeting Time dedicated to finalizing class groupings, 3rd Grade to Lansing
- Friday, May 25: Volunteer Breakfast in LMC 8:15 AM, Staff & Students dismissed at 12:10 PM (M-STEP window closes)
- Monday, May 28: No School for Memorial Day
- Tuesday, May 29: Fire Drill 3:15 PM
- Wednesday, May 30: Kindergarten Round Up, Parent Meeting (Williams) 2:35 PM
- Thursday, May 31: Staff Meeting 8:05 AM, Buchanan SHS Graduates Clap Out 11:15 AM
- Friday, June 1: Garden Dedication/Time Capsule Ceremony 2:00-2:30 PM
- Sunday, June 3: Family Tiger’s Game 1:00 PM
- Monday, June 4: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM
- Tuesday, June 5: Summer Library Program Presentation in gym K-2 1:30/ 3&4 2:00, Kona Ice Truck here for staff! 4:20-4:40 PM
- Thursday, June 7: Building PD 7:50-8:50 AM, PTA Meeting 7:00 PM
- Friday, June 8: Field Day! (iReady Window Closes)
- Monday, June 11: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM, 4th Grade Celebration in the PM
- Tuesday, June 12: Kindergarten Concert/Celebration 1:15-2:30 PM
- Wednesday, June 13: First Grade Water Fun 1:15-2:30 PM
- Thursday, June 14: All School Assembly 10:00-11:00 AM, Students dismissed at 12:10
- Friday, June 15: 4th Grade Clap Out 11:30 AM, Students dismissed at 12:10
- Monday, June 16: Optional Work Day for Teachers, End of Year Gathering in evening!