Last week, along with millions of others, I watched the Kentucky Derby. Now, I’m not big into horse racing, but I do try to watch the Kentucky Derby every year. It’s fun to hear all the intriguing names of the horses and see the excitement and fanfare at Churchill Downs. This year the track was wet and muddy and it amazes me that they can still run so fast through rough conditions. When they come out of the starting gates it’s a blur of color as they all burst onto the track. Soon, a few make their way to the front as they turn the corner and head down the track. First one taking the lead and then another. It’s in the final stretch of the race that all the excitement happens. The fans are cheering, the announcers are shouting, and one horse finally breaks ahead of the pack, sometimes by a nose and sometimes by length or more, to become the winner. It’s the last burst of speed and endurance just at the right time that can make a champion!
Education can be very similar to the Kentucky Derby. There is a lot of fanfare in the beginning of the year as we kick off with open houses and back to school events. We get to know the names and personalities of all our students. Sometimes we have a clear track ahead of us and some years the track is muddy and slippery, but we race down it all the same. It’s easy to have that excitement at the beginning of the year, but as the year goes on it can be exhausting. The key is to save up enough energy and spirit for that final push at the end! Our students need that encouragement as the year comes to a close and so do our teachers. I think one of the reasons that Teacher Appreciation is in May is to help give teachers that final push and encouragement that says, “You can do this! Finish strong!“.
Our students will take their lead from us if we continue to be enthusiastic until that final bell. When the halls are empty and the students are gone, then we can enjoy some rest, knowing that our race was well run. Champions finish strong at the race track and also in the classroom. Keep up your excellent work and your enthusiasm and know that you are making a difference right up to that final bell!
JUSTIFY wins the 2018 Kentucky Derby!
“Starting strong is good. Finishing strong is epic.” – Robin Sharma
“Where you start is not as important as where you finish.“ – Zig Ziglar
“That’s one thing you learn in sports. You don’t give up; you fight to the finish.“ – Louis Zamperini
It’s funny because it’s true!
- Monday, May 14: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM
- Tuesday, May 15: MET/IEP Benson 8:015 AM, All Administrator Meeting 3:00-4:30
- Wednesday, May 16: School Improvement Team 8:15 in Conference Room
- Thursday, May 17: Staff Meeting 8:05 (Led by Jen Cory), 4th Grade to Riley
- Friday, May 18: Student Placement Meetings (Rotating Subs), F&P Data due in Illuminate
- Saturday, May 19: Buchanan Staff Night Out at Karaoke!!9:00 PM – ??
- Sunday, May 20: St. Baldrick’s Event at The Claddagh (Jon getting head shaved)
- Monday, May 21: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM (iReady Window 3 Opens)
- Thursday, May 24: 3rd Grade to Lansing
- Friday, May 25: Students & Staff dismissed at 12:10 PM (M-STEP Window Closes)
- Monday, May 28: No School for Memorial Day
- Wednesday, May 30: Kindergarten Round Up
- Thursday, May 31: Buchanan SHS Seniors Clap Out 11:15 AM
- Friday, June 1: Garden Dedication/Time Capsule Ceremony 2:00 PM
- Sunday, June 3: Family Tiger’s Game
- Thursday, June 7: Building PD 7:50-8:50 AM, Final PTA Meeting 7:00 PM
- Friday, June 8: Field Day!
- Monday, June 11: 4th Grade Celebration in the afternoon
- Tuesday, June 12: Kindergarten Celebration/Outdoor Concert 1:30 PM
- Thursday, June 14: All School Assembly 10:00-11:00 AM, Students dismissed at 12:10 PM
- Friday, June 15: 4th Grade Clap Out 11:30 AM, Students dismissed at 12:10 PM