This week, I have the privilege to lead the twitter chat for the Michigan Elementary & Middle School Principals Association (#MEMSPAchat). Inspired by my friend Allyson Apsey, who chose to create a playlist for 2018 instead of making resolutions or choosing One Word, I decided to focus our chat on creating a playlist to help keep educators motivated during different situations throughout the year. Here is the list of my questions for the chat with my selected songs.
What is your theme song for 2018? Since my #OneWord for 2018 is Patience, it made sense to select the song “Patience” by Guns and Roses. It will be my reminder to slow down and make time for myself and for those around me.
What is your song for Risk Taking? “Take a Chance on Me” by ABBA will be my risk taking soundtrack this year.
What is your song for dealing with failures? It’s an oldie, but the message is still relevant today. “Break My Stride” by Matthew Wilder.
What is your song for motivating yourself and others? My motivation song is the theme song for Rocky. The song doesn’t have any words, but the title of “Gonna Fly Now” sums up the energy the song radiates!
What is your song for dealing with difficult people or situations? No song list is complete without at least one entry from The Beatles. Paul gives us the memorable words of wisdom, “Let It Be“. We can’t always fix things, but there will always be an answer and sometimes it’s just to carry on. This song will be my reminder of that.
What is your song for Gratitude? A classic song by a classic band. “Thank You” by Led Zeppelin will be my reminder to show gratitude to those around me.
What is your song for your students and/or staff? “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey. I want all students and staff to truly believe they can accomplish anything they set their minds to and are willing to work for and that I will be there to support them and believe in them!
What is your theme song for MEMSPA? Since I have so many friends in this organization that make me feel supported and inspired, I chose the song “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” by Randy Newman.
I’m looking forward to hearing from educators across the state and around the country to find out what songs will be their motivation for the new year. What songs will inspire YOU this year and lift you up during the rough times and keep you on track through every situation?
“Where words fail, music speaks.” – Hans Christian Andersen
“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.” – Lao Tzu
“Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.” – Ludwig van Beethoven
- Monday, January 15: No School for MLK Jr. Day!
- Tuesday, January 16: IEP (Trantham) 8:15 AM, All Administrative Meeting 3:00 PM
- Thursday, January 18: Building PD (EPIC presented by Nan / MEL presented by Heather) 7:50-8:50 PM, Jon to ABC negotiations 1:30 PM
- Friday, January 19: School Improvement Committee meeting 8:15 AM
- Monday, January 22: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM, Skate Night at Riverside Arena 6:00-800 PM
- Tuesday, January 23: IEP (Trantham) 8:15 AM
- Wednesday, January 24: Elementary Principals Meeting 1:00-4:30 PM, PTSA 6:00 PM
- Thursday, January 25: Staff Meeting 8:05 AM (RAZ Kids presented by Kristen), PTA Meeting 7:00 PM