If you’re old enough to remember the TV show M.A.S.H., then you probably remember the character of Radar O’Reilly. Radar got his nickname by always appearing before he was called and knowing what needed to be done before being told. There were many funny moments when the commanding officer would be sharing out orders and Radar would simultaneously be responding to them or already have them carried out. Most principals would love to have this type of clairvoyance and efficiency around them. Luckily for me, I have my own Radar O’Reilly in the form of our school secretary.
Pat, AKA Wonder Woman, is the secretary at Buchanan. I often chuckle to myself as she brings me papers to sign before I’ve asked for them or when she reminds me of meetings that I’ve forgotten I’ve scheduled. She is always one step ahead (sometimes more) of everyone around her and prides herself on being early with things and having them ready BEFORE they are due. In many ways, she is my Radar O’Reilly! What’s most impressive is the fact that she is able to be so on top of things while still attending to students, parents, and staff with nonstop interruptions. Actually, she would NEVER call helping someone an interruption, no matter what their issue. She looks at each visit or call as an opportunity to help someone and make their day better.
If you work in a school, then you know the week before the holidays is one of the busiest times of the year. It’s times like this that make me appreciate even more, the outstanding effort and positive attitude of our school secretary, Pat. She is borderline clairvoyant, part super hero, and 100% positive energy every day!! I’m lucky to work with her this busy week and every week of school. So, eat your heart out Radar O’Reilly, I’ll take Pat any day of the week:)
“People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude.” – John Maxwell
“Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind!” – Jim Harbaugh
“Believe you can and you are halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
The original “Radar” O’Reilly
- Saturday, December 23 – Sunday, January 7: WINTER BREAK!!
- Monday, January 8: Celebrate Monday Assembly 9:05 AM, Battle of the Books Informational Meeting for 3rd/4th Grades immediately following assembly
- Tuesday, January 9: REED (Kaufman) 8:15 AM, DATA DIVES in the Conference Room (Rotating Subs) to discuss Progress Monitoring of Interventions
- Wednesday, January 10: Elementary Principals Meeting at Riley 1:00-4:30 PM, PTA Board Meeting in Conference Room 2:30 PM
- Thursday, January 11: Staff Meeting with Cindy Scott & Phil Francis 8:05 AM
- Friday, January 12: IRIPs with Progress Monitoring Notes go home
- Monday, January 15: NO SCHOOL for MLK Day